The Panama Papers, released by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists earlier this week, name massive international power players as benefiting from offshore holdings to hide wealth and avoid taxation. (You won’t believe how powerful #1 is!)
This major leak of over 11 million documents stems from Panama Law Firm Mossack Fonseca. From world leaders, to celebrities, to sports icons, to the uber elite, all of the accused deny any wrongdoing. And in their defense, holding an offshore account is not necessarily illegal. Here we reveal 25 big names implicated in the Panama Papers. You be the judge.
Click “Start Slideshow” to Begin.
- Vladimir Putin, Russian President
Vladimir Putin’s longtime friend and associate was alleged to have multiple Panamanian entities, stashing billions in offshore accounts. Click Start Slideshow to begin.
- Jackie Chan, Actor
Chan, the world famous martial artist, actor and director, is said to have employed Mossack Fonseca to manage several companies.
- Nawaz Sharif, Pakistan President
Sharif’s children are all linked to offshore accounts. They claim no wrongdoing but as one of the richest family’s in Pakistan, they are being asked to defend their wealth in the wake of the leak.
- Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, King of Saudi Arabia
King Salman supposedly used offshore companies to take out massive mortgages, totalling $34 million.
- Lord Michael Ashcroft, former Tory Politician and one of the UK’s wealthiest men
It is purported that a Belize subsidiary of Ashcroft’s holding company was using Mossack Fonseca to provide havens for its clients a decade ago. Ashcroft spokespeople deny he had any involvement with the law firm whatsoever.
- Hamad bin Jassim bin Jabor Al-Thani, former Prime Minister of Qatar
The former Prime Minister of Qatar is reported to hide some of his riches in tax havens.
- Petro Poroshenko, President of the Ukraine
The leaked documents claim Poroshenko set up an offshore holding company in the British Virgin Islands to relocate his candy business. Some are calling for the “King of Chocolate” to step down as President.
- Pamela Sharples, British Baroness
Sharples’ representatives deny any wrongdoing, saying she has shares in a Bahama-based company that is registered in the UK and pays taxes there.
- Nick Faldo, Professional Golfer
Faldo is said to have owned an offshore company for several years. He denies the claim.
- Ayad Allawi, former Vice President of Iraq
The papers allege Allawi has had offshore wealth, which he used as tax havens.
- Amitabh Bachchan, Bollywood Actor
Bachchan, or “Big B”, one of India’s biggest movie stars is listed as director of several offshore shipping companies.
- Bidzina Ivanishvili, former Prime Minister of Georgia
This former Prime Minister of Georgia is reported to have held a secret offshore company in the British Virgin Islands.
- Lionel Messi, Soccer Star
The leak implicates several FIFA officials as well as high-profile footballer Lionel Messi.
- Ali Abu al-Ragheb, former Prime Minister of Jordan
The former Prime Minister of Jordan is linked to several offshore companies whose activities were never identified.
- Li Peng, former Premier of China
Li Peng’s daugher, Li Xiaolin, and her husband owned a company incorporated in the British Virgin Islands. This occurred during her father’s reign.
- Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan al-Nahyan, president of UAE
The Skeikh used dozens of companies created by Mossack Fonseca to purchase properties around the world.
- Pavlo Lazarenko, former Prime Minister of Ukraine
Lazarenko, former Ukrainian Prime Minister served time in 2006 for money laundering. In this context, it’s not hard to believe he had offshore dealings with Mossack Fonseca.
- Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, former Emir of Qatar
Sheikh Hamad used Mossack Fonseca to buy a company registered in the British Virgin Islands. It is reported that the company held a bank account in Luxembourg and shares in two South African-based companies.
- Mauricio Macri, President of Argentina
Macri’s opposition has pounced on the opportunity to question his involvement in an offshore company his father set up to invest in Brazil for which he served as director. Macri denies any wrongdoing.
- Mohammad bin Naif bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud, Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia
The Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia is reported to have purchased Panamanian companies from Mossack Fonseca.
- Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson, (JUST STEPED DOWN AS) Prime Minister of Iceland
Sigmundur and his wife have been very defensive about a company called Wintris Inc. created in the British Virgin Islands. Since the leak on Monday, he has stepped down as a result of the allegations – the first casualty of the scandal.
- Bjarni Benediktsson, Iceland Minister of Finance
Benedkitsson, Iceland’s Minister of Finance, is featured in the Panama Papers alongside Prime Minister Sigmundur. He is linked to a company out of the Seychelles of which he used to own a third. He refused to back Sigmunder. Sounds like a case of the pot calling the kettle black.
- Aishwarya Rai, actress
This beautiful Indian model and actress is among 500 Indians implicated in the Panama Papers.
- Michael Mates, former British Conservative MP
Mates, a former tory MP, is no stranger to scandal after having associations with Asil Nadir, a corrupt businessman, since convicted of stealing close to $50 million. Mates is linked to a company in Barbuda. He dismisses it as nothing noteworthy.
- David Cameron, Prime Minister of UK
Cameron’s father is implicated in holding an offshore fund by which he avoided paying taxes for 30 years.